Thursday, September 8, 2016

BEFORE IT WAS A HIT X: Got My Mind Set On You. Continues next week.
BEFORE IT WAS A HIT SONG
These songs are well known but you may not know about the earlier attempts to score a hit record with prior versions of the same song.
 
Got My Mind Set On You
In 1987, George Harrison topped charts around the world with his upbeat recording of "Got My Mind Set On You". Given his impressive songbook, many would have assumed that the former Beatle had written the song himself. 
The tune was in fact composed by Rudy Clark. He later created the hits "Good Lovin'" and "It's In His Kiss (The Shoop Shoop Song)". 
In 1962, R&B singer James Ray cut the original version of Harrison's chart topper. At the time it was entitled "I've Got My Mind Set on You". A long-time fan of the track, Harrison made a wider audience aware of the song. Sadly, Ray died in 1963, soon after the release of his soulful original interpretation of the song.
* JAMES RAY I've Got My Mind Set On You RARE NORTHERN SOUL Dynamic Sound 45 HEAR
Each new song will be added to the spotify playlist named: ‘Before It Was A Hit Song’.  You can check out the earlier / original versions of the hit songs you know and love.
Red Red Wine
Tainted Love
Killing Me Softly
The Best
Wind Beneath My Wings
Hanging on the Telephone
I Love Rock ‘n Roll
Mickey
Midnight Train To Georgia
The playlist and other Caffe` Latte` selections can be found at:
spotify:user:alanrosscaffelatte

No comments:

Post a Comment