Sunday, October 16, 2016

200 MOST RECOMMENDED ALBUMS. This update: #21. Continues later this week.

THE CAFFE` LATTE`
200
MOST RECOMMENDED ALBUMS
Some are the best selling, while others may be obscure, but the albums listed here are all worthy of a listen. No compilation/ best of sets. Only exceptional live albums included. This is a personal listing of the albums I enjoy the most to this day.
#21
ABBA: ABBA  
 ABBA - ABBA (1975, Original Polar LP).jpg
 [1975] 
ABBA's self titled album launched the Swedish band internationally. In hindsight, it all looks obvious and easy, but, at the time of the LP's release, the outcome might have turned out radically different. After the group's victory at the Eurovision Song Contest in 1974 with "Waterloo", many music pundits had dismissed the group as yet another one-hit wonder. Subsequent releases barely dented the charts. When 'ABBA' was issued, the first tracks lifted as singles fared poorly. The album was in danger of becoming a flop. Fortunately, ABBA's fortunes were changing, albeit on the other side of the planet. An Australian music show named "Countdown" featured some ABBA music videos. RCA - the label in Australia that had the group on its roster- started mounting pressure back at Polar Records in Sweden to release "Mamma Mia" as a single. When the Swedish label finally relented, the single became a smash in Australia, enjoying a 10-week run at #1. ABBA had 3 consecutive #1 singles (shutting out all other music acts) on the Australian chart. The UK followed and "Mamma Mia" topped the chart there. Soon after, the rest of the world was in the grip of ABBAmania. The album was suddenly at the top around the globe. Where previous studio albums hinted at ABBA's potential, on 'ABBA' the promise came to fruition. There was greater consistency and higher quality in the track listing. ABBA toyed with glam on "Hey Hey Helen"; explored reggae on "Tropical Loveland"; rocked out with "Rock Me";  went funky on "Man In The Middle" and tugged our heart strings with "S.O.S.". There's pure pop fun on the tracks "I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do", "Bang-A-Boomerang" and "Mamma Mia". Agnetha Faltskog's underrated lead vocal on "I've Been Waiting For You" is among her best performances as a member of the group. Benny Andersson shines on the mighty instrumental "Intermezzo No. 1". The album closes with another blast of pop, appropriately entitled "So Long".
Highlight tracks:
* S.O.S.
* Mamma Mia
* I've Been Waiting For You
* I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do
* Bang-A-Boomerang 

No comments:

Post a Comment