Wednesday, March 12, 2014

CAFFE` LATTE` 
TOP 1200 CHOICE TRACKS


Mid-week bonus - 1 new song will be added every 6 hours throughout today
#424 I AM WHAT I AM Gloria Gaynor
Gloria Gaynor recorded 2 songs that became gay anthems: "I Will Survive" and "I Am What I Am". The latter was a number from the musical "La Cage Aux Folles". Gaynor's producers had heard the showstopper and, as she told me when I interviewed her: "he thought it would be great with a disco beat... I heard it and I agreed". 
"I Am..." was written for the stage show by Jerry Herman. He had previously written songs for the hit musicals "Hello, Dolly!" and "Mame". The show opened in 1983. Gaynor's remake was released that same year. The single reached #3 on the US Dance chart and peaked at #13 in the UK.

This is a list made up of the songs I enjoy the most, ranked in order of preference: the higher we go, the more I cherish them. Some were released as singles, others as album tracks. Some are obscure; others were worldwide hits or have universal appeal. They aren't always the most famous or popular, but simply a personal choice. I have excluded songs from the last few years in order to get a better idea of a song's lasting impression. I hope you find some new tracks to love, or re-discover some past favourites.
2 new songs are added each day (every 12 hours)  with a mid-week bonus every Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment